Nielsen just published their year end report and Canadians purchased over 800,000 new vinyl records last year, up 22% from 2016. Take a read through the report even if you don’t buy records. If you like numbers as much as we do then you’ll love this.
Nielsen Canada: Music Sales 2017
There are a few highlights worth noting:
- Catalogue titles represented 59% of total vinyl album sales. This happened in 2016 too. These resissues are where it’s at.
- 7th consecutive year on year sales increase despite reports coming out this summer in the Canadian press stating that sales were softening.
- Digital album sales receded more than CD album sales did as more Canadians embraced streaming platforms.
- We love that Johnny Cash and The Beatles are among the Top 5 genre artists in their catefgories.
The Top 10 best selling vinyl albums last year were all about nostalgia. Collectively these 10 titles sold 35,000 units!
1. Ed Sheeran - Divide
2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
3. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club
4. OST - Guardians of the Galaxy V1
5. Kendrick Lamar - Damn
6. Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend
7. Arcade Fire - Everything Now
8. OST - La La Land
9. The Beatles - Abbey Road
10. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black